Litigation support is essential to the success of cyber security investigations. Understanding these activities can help your company to make the most practical choices when dealing with threats to your corporate data or your everyday operations. Here are some of the most important facts about cyber litigation support and its role in the modern digital forensics industry.
What Is Cyber Litigation Support?
As its name suggests, litigation support is intended to provide evidence and testimony in court cases. Digital forensic experts can collect actionable information and compile it to make the most positive impact in court. Litigation support includes the following activities:
- Determining the most effective ways to pinpoint the likely culprits
- Creating and implementing internet protocol (IP) traps to determine the source of issues
- Generating technical subpoenas that cover all necessary activities and information
- Locking down online material and making sure it can be used as evidence in and out of court
- Determining the real cost of intellectual property theft and data breaches
- Producing screenshots and other evidence to support the case
- Providing expert witness services and depositions to ensure that your side of the story is heard and understood
- Compiling all information into an easily understandable and coherent narrative that demonstrates culpability
Working with a company that specializes in litigation support and cyber security investigations can provide real benefits for you and your company when dealing with these serious issues.
Advantages of Litigation Support Services
Companies that specialize in cyber investigations and litigation support can offer significant advantages for your business, including the following:
- Trained and experienced cyber investigators can provide improved organization for data and evidence. This can result in faster retrieval of necessary data and documentation and can ensure that the information you need is available to you throughout your legal proceedings.
- The increased speed of investigations and evidence collection made possible by working with professionals can help you get things underway more quickly and can allow your company to enjoy a faster resolution for its legal actions.
- Companies that specialize in finding the sources of data breaches and intellectual property theft can spot telltale signs of malfeasance and can act on your behalf to stop criminal activities and protect your data against future incidents.
By enlisting the help of qualified litigation support professionals, you can enjoy the greatest degree of success when dealing with cyber issues in the courtroom setting.
At LCG Discovery Experts, we work with you throughout the cyber security investigations process to ensure that you receive the right services for your needs. From corporate and financial investigations to litigation support, we are committed to providing you with the most advanced and effective solutions for your needs. Give us a call today at 855-524-9778 to schedule a free initial case consultation. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you.
Preventing intellectual property theft and other cyber intrusions can help your small business stay competitive within your industry. Smaller businesses may be even more at risk of data breaches and ransomware than their larger counterparts. Verizon’s 2018 Data Breach Investigations Report indicates that 61 percent of reported breaches targeted small businesses, a significant jump from the 53 percent reported in the 2017 report.
A Staggering Cost
UPS Capital reports that the cost of cyber intrusions, data breaches and cyber attacks on small businesses range between $84,000 and $148,000. For most small businesses, these financial losses can be enough to sink the business permanently. The same report indicated that approximately 60 percent of companies go out of business within six months of a major data breach or cyber attack. Taking steps to protect your company against these serious issues can prevent devastating damage to your finances and your public reputation.
Small Businesses Specifically Targeted by Hackers
Additional statistics compiled by UPS Capital indicate that about 90 percent of all small businesses lack any cyber security plan for their corporate data, making them easy targets for hackers. In some cases, confidential financial information, payment data and proprietary software may be left without any real protection against cyber attacks. While cyber security investigations may be able to track down wrongdoers after the damage has been done, implementing measures to prevent intellectual property theft can protect your company against serious damage to its reputation and to its financial bottom line.
Protecting Your Digital Assets
Working with a professional cyber forensic investigations company can provide your company with expert support after a data breach. These dedicated technicians can also identify areas of concern in your current cyber security arrangements, allowing you to move proactively to protect your digital assets and confidential data. Some of the most effective strategies for improving your cyber security include the following:
- Training your staff members to protect passwords and to avoid becoming victims of phishing attempts
- Enabling advanced two-factor authentication for access to sensitive data
- Backing up all information to a remote server daily to avoid data loss
- Investing in a security audit to find vulnerabilities before they result in data breaches
- Boosting physical security for your brick-and-mortar facilities
LCG Discovery Experts can provide you with the expert help and guidance needed to seal holes in your security and protect your data against theft and misuse. We work with you at every stage of the process to ensure that your company receives the most accurate and appropriate guidance for your cyber security needs. Call us today at 855-524-9778 to schedule a consultation with us. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you.
E-discovery is an essential element in many investigations and legal proceedings. Understanding the e-discovery legal process can help you achieve the best results when dealing with lawsuits, courtroom proceedings and other activities on behalf of businesses and clients. Working with experienced digital forensic experts can provide you with the most effective e-discovery solutions for your legal firm or other corporate enterprise. Here are some basic facts about e-discovery in the modern business world.
What Is E-Discovery?
Just as traditional investigators compile physical evidence and clues in legal and criminal cases, cyber investigators are responsible for collecting electronic documents and data on behalf of their clients. The electronically stored information collected during these cyber forensic investigations may include website content, social media postings, voicemails, emails, video files and databases. Investigators typically look at time stamps, metadata and the properties of the files to determine author information and to protect the integrity of digitally collected evidence for use in and out of the courtroom setting.
How Does E-Discovery Work?
In general, e-discovery proceedings are initiated by a law firm, court official or private company. A general scope of discovery is established and search parameters are put in place to ensure that only the essential data is collected, stored and reviewed. Cyber security investigations personnel are given a list of relevant documents to identify and to secure on behalf of their clients. This data is then analyzed to determine its importance and to establish it as reliable and accurate for use in a court of law.
Why Is E-Discovery Necessary?
As more information is stored online, the need for professional digital forensic experts has increased exponentially for companies of all sizes. Electronic discovery can provide forensic evidence about criminal activities and can sift through large amounts of data to determine the most relevant information. This information can then be used to support litigators in pursuing lawsuits and legal actions and can provide actionable intelligence for companies interested in determining the source of issues with intellectual property and other unlawful appropriation of company data.
At LCG Discovery Experts, we offer full-service investigation services that encompass e-discovery and litigation support for corporate and legal clients. We work with your company or law firm throughout the process to ensure a clear chain of evidence that can be used in a court of law, allowing you to enjoy greater confidence when working with us. To learn more about our lineup of services, call us today at 855-524-9778. The team at LCG Discovery Experts is ready to take on your case and to find the evidence you need.